Friday, February 19

Remember that time...

A couple of years ago I met a former Heisman trophy winner. He was kind and polite to us, and my son has a picture of himself being held by this man, along with an autographed "Heisman Pose" photo. In visiting with him guess what he talked about? His "biggest day" scoring several touchdowns in one football game some 20 odd years ago. What has he done since then? Squandered the millions he made playing football, filed bankruptcy, divorced his wife, spent time in jail as a dead-beat dad, been convicted of domestic abuse, and acted like a fool on National TV.

This guy is not unusual though, often people will hold on to a time in the past when they acted with nobility as though that forever seals the question of their character. That is as fallacious as fixating on a past failure as forever sealing the answer of a man's character.

David, was he a great man of God, or a Lying, Murdering, Adulterer?
Paul, was he a great and godly apostle, or an enemy of God?
Peter, was he a foundational leader of the church and friend of Christ, or a bigoted, betraying, coward?
Rahab, was she a noble and courageous woman of faith, or a whore?

The answer is yes.

No-one wants to be judged today by mistakes they made in the distant past, I know I don't, but we do like to be judged today by successes in the distant past don't we?
Recently I heard someone say "You know I will change my mind if I'm proven wrong, because 13 years ago there was this time that..." as if the fact they changed their mind 13 years ago forever proves they are open minded. Now this person may be open minded, but that isn't proven by something they did years ago, it will be proven by what they do today.

Paul said: Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

You see, he had been instrumental in the death of Christians, but he wasn't defined by that NOW. Now he was different. But in the same way, he had converted thousands to Jesus, yet he wasn't resting on that NOW. Now, he was pressing on toward the goal.

So how should we judge the former Heisman trophy winner? On his success or his failure? Well, actually they are both part of what he was. Right now though, I don't know what he is, God will be his judge, I don't need to. What I'm more concerned with is how I judge myself, and by extension, if you are reading this post, how you judge yourself.

Do you judge yourself now by your greatest moment in the past? Do you judge yourself by your worst moment in your past? Don't! Don't live back there. Enjoy your successes, repent of your failures, and today serve the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment