Thursday, January 25

Let me tell you a story...

Let me tell you a story...

There was a a good, honest man named Job who lived in the country of Uz. He respected God and refused to do evil, he hated evil. Job had a large family with seven sons and three daughters. He was very wealthy.  In a day when wealth was counted in livestock, he owned 7000 sheep, 3000 camels, 1000 oxen, and 500 female donkeys and he had many servants. In fact, he was the richest man in the east.
 
Job’s family loved one another, they were very close and his sons took turns having dinner parties in their homes, and they invited their sisters. But Job was also very wise, and knowing the frivolity of youth, the day after each of these parties, he got up early in the morning, sent for his children, and offered a burnt offering for each of them. He thought, “Maybe my children were careless and sinned against God at their party.” Job did this because he respected God and loved his children and was very concerned that they would be forgiven of their sins.

What Job did not know...
The day came when God was holding court with the angels in heaven, and even Satan was there with them.  God asked Satan, “Where have you been?”  and he answered, “I have been roaming around the earth, going from place to place.”

So God asked Satan, “Have you noticed my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him. He is a good, faithful man. He respects me and refuses to do evil.”

Satan answered Him, “Of course Job respects you.  You always protect him, his family, and everything he has. You have blessed him and made him successful. He is so wealthy that his herds and flocks are all over the country.  But if you were to destroy everything he has, I promise you that he would curse you to your face.”

The Lord said to Satan, “All right, do whatever you want with anything that he has, but don’t hurt Job himself.”

Job still doesn't know, but his life is about to get painful...
 One day while Job’s sons and daughters were having a party at the oldest brother’s
house. A messenger came to Job and said, “We were plowing the fields with the oxen and the donkeys were eating grass nearby,  when some Sabeans attacked us and took your animals! They killed the other servants. I am the only one who escaped to come and tell you the news!”

 That messenger was still speaking when another one came in and said, “A bolt of lightning struck your sheep and servants and burned them up. I am the only one who escaped to come and tell you the news!”

That messenger was still speaking when another one came in and said, “The Chaldeans sent out three raiding parties that attacked us and took the camels! They killed the other servants. I am the only one who escaped to come and tell you the news!”

That messenger was still speaking when another one came in and said, “Your sons and daughters were eating and drinking wine at the oldest brother’s house.  A strong wind suddenly came in from across the desert and blew the house down. It fell on your sons and daughters, and they are all dead. I am the only one who escaped to come and tell you the news!”

When Job heard this, he got up, tore his clothes, and shaved his head to show his sadness. Then he fell to the ground to bow down before God and said,
“When I was born into this world,   I was naked and had nothing.  When I die and leave this world,
 I will be naked and have nothing. The Lord gives, and the Lord takes away.  Praise the name of the Lord!”

Even after all this, Job did not sin. He did not accuse God of doing anything wrong.
About the story...
You may have had some bad days, but you've never had a day like this [neither have I], but you do have bad days right?  How do you handle that?  Are you sad?  Do you blame God?

"Even after all this, Job did not sin. He did not accuse God of doing anything wrong."

When life is hard and it hurts, that's not evidence that God isn't there, or even that He doesn't care.  Worship Him.  Trust Him.  Serve Him.

12 comments:

  1. I definitely agree here that a perfect life is impossible in a fallen world. I've had times where I would think about worst case scenarios (ex: A family member not making it home after traveling somewhere far) and thought if that were to become reality, I wouldn't blame God for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this post! It reminds me of something my grandmother says all the time...
    "Sometimes you have to go through mess to get blessed"
    And I think that if we can remember this when times get rough we will be able to rely on God so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like this story of Job! This is a valuable reminder that God is in control and that we need to constantly be clinging to His mighty hand through both the good and the bad. God is truly the only thing that we have. What we don't sometimes realize is that we could lose everything but we can never lose God. God Loves us too much. This is why it is so very important that we NEVER leave his side and that we are building a stronger relationship with Him daily!

      Delete
  4. Good Post. Makes me reflect how I handle hard times. I don't act like Job at all. When things get tough I look for something to blame and then attack it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Job is an inspiration, honestly if all those things happened to me I would definitely look for someone to blame. It reminds me to keep growing in my relationship with the lord and build a stronger faith in him so that i don't question Gods plan for me. Our world isn't perfect and we aren't perfect but we have a God is still there for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked how you personalized the story of Job and really visualized it for me. It can be so easy to forget that Job was human just like you and me. I, too, need to react more like Job when something hard comes up in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this post. It's hard for me to believe that anyone would be able to be so devoted to God after nearly everything had been taken away from them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know that I would definitely not handle what Job went through like he did. Its a very humbling it reminds me to be more joyful and grateful in my everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The story of Job is a perfect example of praising God even in the worst of times and finding Joy in everything. It’s hard to be a “Job” on some days but I believe we should strive to have the attitude and mindset of Job. Good read, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The book of Job is a great read to reflect on to see if we are looking at hard times with the right mindset.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’ve tried commenting 4 times, I read it. I love the book of Job. Thank you

    ReplyDelete