Tuesday, September 19

Thoughts About Doubt

I believe that the only ones who never doubt are those who never think deeply.  Many unbelievers [at least those who write books about it], seem to think that Christian faith is credulity, mere blind superstition.  I think this misconception is due to a number of things from prejudice on the part of the unbeliever, to misapplication of scriptural passages that condemn certain kinds of doubt, to Christians who have, though ignorance, misrepresented the nature of faith.

To be fair there are passages which condemn doubt in the
face of evidence [Matthew 14:31], but the reality is that not everyone in the NT who doubted was rebuked by Jesus for their doubt [John 20:27-29]  This leads me to conclude that there are at least two different kinds of doubt.  There is doubt which is due to a failure to understand or see certain evidence, and there is a type of doubt that is due to a refusal to consider and therefore the rejection of said evidence.

These different doubts are a result of opposing types of hearts.  One type of doubt comes from a sincere desire to know the truth, whatever that truth may be.  The other type of doubt comes from a desire to reject a certain point of view, regardless of the truth of that point of view.  Outwardly, these two types of doubt may appear very much the same, but the heart, which only God can see, is very different in each case.

The scriptures do not condemn the heart that is unwilling to believe without evidence, in fact, very much the opposite.  Christians are everywhere warned not to believe everyone, but to test what is taught [Matthew 7:15-18; 1 John 4:1-2].  Yet there is a strong condemnation of the heart who refuses to believe because of corrupt motives [John 5:44-47].

The discerning heart
One convincing piece of evidence that Jesus did not approve of 'blind, un-discerning acceptance' is the mind that the NT insists is necessary for faith.  Consider:
  • Humility [Matt.18:1-4]
  • Love the truth [John 18:37; 8:32]
  • Willing to hear [Rom.10:17]
  • Willing to prove all things [1 Thess.5:21]
  • Rejection of passions that corrupt honesty [2 Tim.4:3-4; 2 Thess. 2:10-12]
  • Refusal to believe without testing [1 John 4:1]
  • A good an honest heart [Luke 8:15]
What better attitude, mindset, heart could there be?  Isn't this the mindset we want our scientists to have?  It is clearly apparent that the NT does not call for belief without discernment.

A danger of secret doubt
Some believers have the idea that all doubt is sinful and yet, despite their greatest efforts, they are unable to completely eliminate it from their minds.  Many are taught that faith is a gift bestowed on them by God, having nothing to do with themselves, and consequently, doubt, any doubt is indication that God has not given them the gift of faith.  This leads to denying the existence of doubts, that in reality continue to linger in the back of their minds, growing stronger as time goes on, then, when they have lain unchallenged for so long they finally cannot be ignored anymore, and these doubts burst forth with rage and vigor, seemingly unassailable.  The other thing that may happen is for them to turn away from faith entirely believing they are not one of God's chosen so why bother.

The conclusion I draw from this is that we should seek the solution of difficulties which cause doubt instead of trying to hide them from ourselves.  In many if not most cases, thinking about it objectively enough to state it succinctly will reveal it is no real threat to genuine Christian faith.  If not, then you can at least be aware to watch for evidence you might cross that will solve the difficulty.  In some cases, that may require embarking on a serious study of all available evidence, with a willingness to follow the trail until it's end, but in most cases, a doubt is not a 'deal breaker', but merely something you will be consciously aware of looking for evidence to confirm or solve, and that search may take many years.

What the NT teaches is the basis of Faith

The way the NT appeals for faith proves that it does not ask people to believe without evidence or even worse, against the evidence.  In his gospel, the apostle John appealed to the miracles [20:30], Christ's works [5:35], the Father's witness [5:36-37], Moses and the OT [5:39-47].  Just one sermon in Acts appeals to the evidence of Prophesy [2:6,23,30-31,34], Miracles of Jesus [2:22], the resurrection [2:27-32], and the current miraculous happenings [2:33]

Sinful Unbelief
Jesus did teach that the Spirit would 'convict the world of sin because they believe not in me' [John 16:8-9] and as such, there is a sinful type of unbelief.  Now that may seem objectionable to some.  You may think the words of Christ harsh here, but consider the value of the
principle they are based on.  We would all agree, wouldn't we, that to neglect truth that you can obtain is a fault?  Maybe not so in trivial matters such as who won the 1972 world series, but certainly in important matters that affect ourselves and those around us.  If I were to insist, oblivious to the truth, that the use of lavender behind your knees will cure colon cancer, and I argued that with passion and persuasiveness, and I convinced people, my proclaiming ignorance 'well, I never read those studies' would not absolve me of the responsibility for the damage I did.  If I give health advice to someone, morality
would require that I only advise what I've given sufficient study to know the truth about.  That's different than baseball statistics because of the value of the belief and the price of error.

What matter could be more important than the matter of eternity after this life?  It is of the greatest possible value to determine, if possible, what is truth regarding spiritual things.  God is a historical fact through the ages.  His existence, his incarnation, his resurrection, are all historic facts which can in fact be authenticated.  If I, beginning with doubt seek to authenticate the facts, my doubt is not sinful.  If, on the other hand, I allow doubt to prejudice me such that I neglect, or even refuse, to consider the evidence, my doubt is sinful.  If a man is responsible for the reckless and negligent use of his hands, isn't he also responsible for the willful misuse of his mind?  After all, isn't the hand just the instrument of the mind? [2 Corinthians 10:4-5]

Many unbelievers call mightily for us to fulfill our responsibilities to our neighbor yet dismiss altogether that same obligation to fulfill our responsibilities to God.


The Love of the Truth must prevail
Paul spoke of those who did not love the truth, but had pleasure in a lie [2 Thess.2:10-12].  People who do not love truth are not attracted to it, and even when they see it, they quickly reject it and  rationalize that rejection.  When truth about themselves is unpleasant they are offended and seek what makes them feel good, even if it is untrue.  Some reject truth because it condemns some immorality they find pleasure in and are determined to continue.  They seek some rational that will justify their unrighteousness and calm their conscience.

My conclusion is that you needn't be afraid of doubt, as long as it is honest doubt, seeking truth.  If, however, it is prejudicial doubt, that isn't seeking truth but rather seeks confirmation of it's prejudices, there is nothing in the least noble in it.  So, look at your own heart, be honest with/in your heart.  Do you really love/seek truth?

15 comments:

  1. I liked how you talked about different types of doubt coming from different hearts, and how there is a difference between doubting because you want to know the truth and doubting because you want to reject it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you differentiated between the two different types of doubt, and mentioned how one was biblical; I had never heard that before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I believe that the only ones who never doubt are those who never think." I never thought of it that way until now but it makes a lot of sense. Overall, I think this gives a solid in-depth perspective of the kinds of doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved how you talked about loving and seeking truth! I have never really thought about it in that kind of way.It was nice having that question at the end to think about. I do agree with the two kinds of doubt. It was nice reading about them in more depth. Thank you

      Delete
  5. I strongly agree with your point about how people who don't doubt don't think. Sometimes its good to have blind faith and sometimes it is a bad thing. Its a comforting statement and a statement that really gets you thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading this I now understand the different types of doubt. I got a better understanding of doubt, and now I truly understand doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had always heard about doubt being good for your faith but I never knew the distinction between truth-seeking doubt and sinful doubt. thoroughly enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The section that you wrote on secret doubt really stood out to me. we all get those little voices in the back of our head trying to steer us away from what we know and believe. This post really solidified the dangers of those whispers and the best way to combat them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wondered about this sometimes and now it all kinda clicks. If im reading the text right, your saying that a doubtful mind can be good but it depends on the context of how and why the person is doubting in the first place. Loved the read, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've struggled with doubting the bible in a period of my life. I especially liked the conclusion of the post where it says "you needn't be afraid of doubt, as long as it is honest doubt, seeking truth." This is the kind of doubt I had and it led me back to God and helped me develop a stronger relationship with him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the clarification you give in regards to what kind of doubt is righteous and what kind of doubt it sinful. Now I will be able to discern where my heart is leading me in the wrong direction and when I can lean on God to help adjust my desires and views to match His.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had always thought of doubt in a bad sense and did not realize that it is not always sinful. Personally I always hid my doubt because I thought if others saw, they would see me as weak. But now I see that everyone has doubts, and from seeking out the answers we become stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like this. I never realized that there are two kinds of doubt. This helps me discern what is going on when I read how biblical characters deal with doubt. Only God can see the heart, so Jesus can look directly at people’s doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really liked how you expanded on the different types of doubt.

    ReplyDelete