Saturday, January 30

Wisdom isn't like Technology

I've noticed through the years that the cliche "energy and growth comes from youth" seems to hold true with churches just as with other organizations, and it seems like popular religion has learned this. Everything is "youth driven". Churches have learned that if the kids want to go to your church, the parents will bring them. That is how to grow a church, appeal to the youth. The paradigm seems to be "Whatever it takes to get young people is what we need to do". Be that a room full of X-box stations, concerts instead of worship, or our own branded coffee house ["He-Brews Coffee House" ---really???].
Now, I've got nothing against a good cup of coffee at the church building, and I really don't think the motive that drives these churches is bad, but I do believe the consequences are. Yes, the churches grow, yes, they fill huge stadiums with eager disciples, but at what cost? Churches are becoming so "seeker sensitive" that they have become "savior insensitive". The driving purpose is "What do kids want" not "What does God want". Do you think that by being so successful at exposing the young people of our society to this weakened, entertainment based, youth centered, stylized version of Christianity, these churches are doing the spiritual equivilent of inoculating them against true, God centered, love God and Others, Biblical Christianity? I don't know, but I wonder.

This brings me to my main thought for this post. With technology we can stand on the shoulders of the generations before us; thus we aren't starting at the same place our parents or grandparents did. Once someone invents the wheel, it's a much smaller step to put it on everything from cars to suitcases. Wisdom is different. With Wisdom, we each start at the same place. You don't get to begin your life with the wisdom that experience begets. The flip-side of the cliche I began with is that "wisdom and stability come from age". I think that's one reason God designed the church to be lead/guided by elders, not youngsters. There are only two ways young people get wisdom. One is by living, which takes a long time but is very effective. The other is by listening to, and being guided by, older people. Is your church guided by the whims and trends of young people? Or the wisdom of elders? Obviously I'm not advocating a "sink or swim" mentality toward our youth. They do need attention, they just don't need to be guiding the ship.

PS. The obvious irony here is that I'm learning this in 'middle age' as I become an 'elder', not a younger...

1 comment:

  1. Profound. With the right conversation partner, we could really chew on this awhile. I can see many rabbit trails leading from this...

    Disclaimer: I'm old.

    ReplyDelete